- They don’t favor one child over another.
- They don’t give their children “mixed” or conflicting messages.
- They don’t teach their children that only material things or financial success have value and denigrate qualities like compassion, empathy, and love as “weaknesses.”
- They don’t disinherit their own children. If an adult child is irresponsible with finances, they set up a trust or distribute it as income or through someone else who is trustworthy. But they don’t disown. That’s nothing but a slap in the face.
- They don’t reward a child and then punish them for the same thing later.
- They don’t threaten a child with “reform school,” being given up for adoption, etc.
- They don’t squelch, punish or discourage the honest expression of emotion, even if it’s negative.
- They don’t belittle a child’s talents or accomplishments
- They don’t tell their child they are “perfect,” especially for things they didn’t have to work…
View original post 342 more words